There are a lot of jobs that can be done freelance. On the other hand are companies hiring freelancers to be their employers. Maid services are not an exception. Sometimes, it’s just easier to proceed with hiring maids from organizations rather than freelancers due to the safety and security guaranteed by these companies.
In this article, we’re going to show the pros and cons of hiring maids from freelancing sites versus companies providing maid services.
To first weigh the benefits and disadvantages of hiring freelance maids versus maid service companies, it’s important to understand the extent of the roles and responsibilities of a maid.
Depending on the location, the term maid may be of an honorary title, or in unfortunate cases, derogatory. In European settings, maids (and butlers) hold supervisory roles and assign housekeeping staff their roles. If a residence is sufficiently large enough, then the term maid may be appropriate. Otherwise, people might prefer the term “professional housekeeper” or “house cleaning professionals” instead.
A housekeepers responsibilities can include any or all of the following:
- Changing linens
The extent of responsibilities of a housekeeper varies depending on the contract set upon by the employer. Some tasks like laundry, cooking, and gardening may be separate services that the house owner may want to get from companies instead.
Housekeepers who have extra skills may require their employers to adjust compensation a little higher than their counterparts who only have a limited number of roles and responsibilities. That’s where freelance maids come in.
Freelance Maid Services
Freelance maid services have an advantage over company-sponsored maid services in that house owners will always find someone with a specific set of skills they require for the job.
Freelance maid services are usually priced higher than their company-sponsored counterparts. The selection of employees from freelance sites are as varied as there are rooms in the house, and beginners up to veterans can be found.
- Varied employee selection
- Some freelancers have skills company maid services may not have
- Beginner freelancers are willing to be paid less for experience
- More flexible contracts
- Housekeepers can expect only one individual to work for them for a long time
- Companies offer better trustworthiness index for their employees
- Freelance maids with more experience may charge higher
- No guarantee that they will stay, contracts are only as good as the trust they show
- No reliable background checks
Maid Service Companies
If homeowners don’t have much time to scout for a housekeeper, they can always rely on companies like Merry Maids and Molly Maids to do the job of providing a housekeeper for them. These companies make it easy for housekeepers to focus on their schedule.
The companies train and orient their employees on what needs to be done. They’re equipped with all the necessary and basic skills a housekeeping staff should possess.
- Usually (and consistently) lower frees for the services
- Contracts are already made
- Companies usually have maids that have limited skill sets, although it covers all the basic areas.
- The company reserves the right to change their staff as they see fit
- The level of service may differ from person to person
For individuals who want a more customized maid service, freelance maid services are the obvious option to go with. If looking for basic housekeeping services on a consistent and reliable basis, maid service companies are the best option.